History of the Spencer Branch Library
An item from the 1875 files of the Village of Spencer shows the purchase of "thirty books for the library," at a cost of $19.33. The pioneers of Spencer of more than 100 years ago understood the importance of reading and having a library. The library in Spencer received formal recognition in 1941, when County Librarian Kay Biwer proposed that a branch library of the county be opened in Spencer. The local American Legion agreed to sponsor the new branch library and the first books arrived by mail from the county. When the Women’s Club organized in 1946, their first project was to get the library into new quarters, and the club's support for the library continues today. In 1966, the Village took responsibility for the library by including the library in Village Hall plans, most recently in 1997 when the new village complex was completed. Changes in the services offered at the branch library have occurred over the years with the addition of family and children’s programs, public computers, Internet services, and a much larger book collection.