Marathon County Public Library

learning • community • ideas • information

U.S. Passports / Application Acceptance

U.S. Passport

U.S. passport application acceptance is offered at the library's Wausau Headquarters.

New schedule starting May 19, 2016: Appointments are available every Thursday, 3:00pm to 7:30pm, and every other Saturday, 9:00am to 4:00pm. Walk-ins are invited every Thursday, 9:00am to 3:00pm. Contact us for more information or alternative passport application sites.

Please call 715-261-7240 and ask to speak with a passport application acceptance agent before you apply!

Also, we advise reviewing the U.S. Department of State passport website.

Common application mistakes and pitfalls include:

  • Not bringing an official birth certificate issued by the government, featuring a raised seal and signature. Hospital certificates and photocopies are not allowed.

  • Forgetting to bring (enough) checks. The application fee must be paid by check.

  • Making errors on the application. Cross-outs, white-out, or errors of any kind are not allowed; only black ink is allowed, not blue or any other color.

  • Applying on behalf of a minor w/o adequate documentation. Please always contact us and describe any special circumstances regarding custody, etc.

Need a passport in a hurry? — Citizens traveling within 14 days may apply at a regional passport facility for faster issuance by appointment only. Visit the U.S. Department of State website for facility locations and more information.

Passport Books

Adults applying for a new passport or a replacement for a lost or stolen passport must provide the following:

  • Completed Passport Application (DS-11), available at MCPL Wausau or online.
  • Birth certificate issued by the county or municipality in which you were born. Hospital-issued certificates, photocopies and abstracts of birth are not accepted.
  • Current proof of identity, e.g. your Wisconsin driver's license or Wisconsin ID card. Contact us for other ways to prove your identity.
  • Color passport photograph, two-inches square, taken within the last six months and meeting passport photo criteria. These may be taken at the library for $10.
  • Any previous passport book or passport card, unless it was lost or stolen.

If applying on behalf of a minor, please contact us at 715-261-7200. Special conditions may apply. Detailed information is available from the U.S. Dept. of State.

Fees for processing a passport book:

  • Adults (age 16 and older) — $110 check to "U.S. Dept. of State," $25 to "MCPL."
  • Children (younger than 16) — $80 check to "U.S. Dept. of State," $25 to "MCPL."
  • Expedited service is available for an additional $60 to "U.S. Dept. of State."
  • Express delivery of your application to the processing center is available for $19.99, added to "MCPL" fees. More than one application may be shipped for one fee.
  • Express delivery of your passport to your residence is available for $14.85 per application, added to fees payable to "U.S. Dept. of State."

Visit the U.S. Department of State website for more info. about passport applications.

Passport Cards

These may be used for land or sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. They cannot be used for other international travel or air travel. In general, you must provide the same information as for the passport book. (See above.)

Fees for processing a passport card: 

  • Adults (age 16 and older) — $30 check to "U.S. Dept. of State," $25 to "MCPL."
  • Children (younger than 16) — $15 check to "U.S. Dept. of State," $25 to "MCPL."

Visit the U.S. Department of State website for more info. about passport cards.

Passport Renewals

Adults may renew their U.S. Passports using a Passport Renewal Form (DS-82) without repeating the application process if they meet the following conditions:

  • The previous passport is not damaged, AND
  • The passport was issued within the past 15 years, AND
  • The passport-bearer was at least 16 when the passport was issued, AND
  • The passport-bearer has the same name as on the previous passport or can document the name change with an official marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption decree or court order.

Visit the U.S. Department of State website for more info. about passport renewals.

Additional information: