U.S. Passport Applications / Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQs)

Please note: (1) This page is intended for those who will be applying for a U.S. Passport at the Marathon County Public Library in Wausau, WI. (2) A complete, official Passport Frequently Asked Questions resource is available online at the U.S. Department of State website.

When can I apply for a U.S. passport?
You can apply for a U.S. Passport at the library's Wausau Headquarters by appointment only. Call 715-261-7200.

What is a passport card?
Passport cards are wallet-sized passports can only be used for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. Passport cards are smaller, less expensive and perhaps a more convenient alternative for travelers to these destinations.

Can I have a passport card and a passport book?
Yes, individuals can apply for both a Passport Card and a Passport Book. The application fee for each would still apply, e.g. $110 + $30 = $140 for adults. If applied for at the same time, only one acceptance or execution fee of $25 is needed.

Who provides the U.S. passport acceptance service?
The Marathon County Public Library has been designated by the U.S. Department of State as a Passport Acceptance Facility. Our certified passport acceptance agents are required to follow all federal rules and regulations. We provide the same service as the U.S. Post Office and similar sites.

How do I get a passport?
You must provide proof of U.S. citizenship, proof of identification and one two-inch by two-inch passport photograph.

What is acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship?
You must provide an official, certified birth certificate issued by the county or municipality in which you were born. Photocopies, hospital birth certificates and certified abstracts of birth are not accepted. Alternatively, naturalized U.S. citizens may submit a certificate of naturalization. You must also submit any previous U.S. Passport. For adult applications, a previous passport may be used in lieu of other proof of citizenship. Official documents will be returned to you by mail.

What is acceptable proof of identification?
Adults may submit their current, valid Wisconsin driver's license, Wisconsin ID card, U.S. Passport or U.S. military ID card. Non-Wisconsin IDs may be accepted if accompanied by a secondary ID; contact us for options.

For children not yet 16 years old, both parents' signatures are required on the application.
Both parents or legal guardians must present evidence of child's U.S. citizenship, present evidence that they are the parents or guardian(s), show valid personal identification, and take the oath before an authorized passport acceptance agent. If one parent is unable to be present, proof of sole custody (divorce decree, death certificate, etc.) or form DS-3053 is required.

Where can I obtain a certified birth certificate?
In most cases, you need to contact the court house of the county in which you were born. You can also find this information using VitalChek (www.vitalchek.com).

Where do I get photographs?
Passport photographs may be taken at the library for $10. Otherwise, there are other businesses which may provide these for you. You will need one 2-inch by 2-inch passport photograph.

What do I do if I lost my passport?
You must submit Form DS-64, "Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport." Use form DS-11 to apply for a replacement.

How long does it take to get my passport?
The U.S. Passport Office guarantees delivery to the home address listed on your application within the time frames described at http://travel.state.gov/passport/processing/processing_1740.html.You also may request express mail delivery from the processing center to your residence for an additional $14.85 per application.

What if I need my passport sooner than the expedited delivery date?
U.S. citizens travelling in the next 14 days may apply at a Regional Passport Facility for faster passport issuance by appointment only. The nearest of these facilities are in Minneapolis, MN, and Chicago, IL. Click here for facility locations. Click here for appointment information.

How much does it cost to get a passport?
Fees are payable to the U.S. Department of State are as follows:

  • New, replacement or renewal of a passport book: $110 if age 16 and older; $80 if under the age of 16.
  • New, replacement or renewal of a passport card: $30 if age 16 and older; $15 if under the age of 16.
  • Expedited service (optional): an additional $60.00 per application.
  • Express Mail Delivery (optional): an additional $19.99 to the library and $14.85 per application the the Dept. of State.


What is the acceptance or execution fee?
The acceptance or execution fee of $25 is paid to any U.S. Passport Acceptance Agency, including the Marathon County Public Library. The acceptance fee is payable by cash, credit, check or money order.

How can I check the status of my passport application?