March 17, 2009
The Top of the Day to you:
Looking for some good stories and information on Ireland? If you are planning a trip, are interested in Irish history, or just want to kick your heels up, here are some of my favorites.
- Princes of Ireland: Dublin Saga by Edward Rutherford
- The Rebels of Ireland: conclusion of Dublin Saga; sequel to Princes of Ireland
- Ireland: a Novel by Frank Delaney; Tipperary also by Frank Delaney is also excellent. His most recent book, Shannon, is my next read.
- An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor
Edward Rutherford has been discribed as the history teacher that you wished you would have had in high school. His books are wonderful epics that take you from the fascinating ancient history of Ireland forward. Also check out Rutherford's other historical novels, three on England (London , The Forest, and Sarum) and Russka: the Novel of Russia.
My favorite Ireland Travel Guides:
- Rick Steves’ Ireland See also the DVD’s of Rick Steves' touring Ireland
- ·Ireland (DK Eyewitness Travel); and Dublin( DK Eyewitness Travel)
- Fodor’s See It Ireland
And how about some traditional Irish music to brighten your life? Try the "Chieftains" and the "Clancy Brothers". They will be sure to delight you. Most likely you will find yourself clicking up your heels, doing an Irish jig , and singing along.
Find these and other materials in the MCPL catalog here.