How important are libraries to the communities that they serve?
As we celebrate National Library Week, Libraries are the Heart of the Community, a report , " How Libraries Stack Up: 2010" was recently issued from OCLC illustrating some answers to these questions:
- Every day 300,000 Americans get job-seeking help at their public library.
- Nearly 12,000 libraries offer wireless Internet access.
- 2.8 million business owners and employees use public library resources to support their business.
- Library cards are almost as prevalent as credit cards--two-thirds of Americans have library cards.
- 5,400 libraries over technical training classes.
- 2.1 million DVD's are borrowed from libraries for free every day.
- 1.4 billion Americans visit their libraries, more often than they go to movies or sporting events.
- Every day 225,000 people use library meeting rooms.
- Public libraries circulate 7.9 million materials every day; as many materials as FedEx ships worldwide.
You can see the report here.