July 20, 2016
With temperatures expected to reach into the 90s this week, local officials are urging residents to protect themselves from heat-related illness. One way to do that is by coming to the library!
All Marathon County Public Libraries have been designated as official cooling centers -- places where residents without air conditioning can get relief from the extreme heat. We also will have bottled water available. According to the Marathon County Health Department, most heat-related illnesses involve the elderly, individuals who have chronic illnesses, children, athletes and outdoor workers. To prevent risks from excessive heat, the health department suggests people do the following:
- Seek air-conditioning. If your home does not have air-conditioning, seek areas that do-such as libraries, shopping malls, community/senior centers, grocery stores, movie theatres-during the warmest period of the day. If you must stay in a home without air-conditioning, stay on the lowest floor out of the sunshine. Marathon County area libraries are available as cooling centers for persons needing this service.
- Avoid strenuous activities. This is particularly true during the hottest time of the day. Individuals who perform strenuous work during the heat of the day are especially at risk.
- Wear light-weight, light-colored clothing. Light colors reflect the sun’s rays better than dark colors, which absorb the heat. Protect the face and head with a wide-brimmed hat.
- Check on family members, neighbors and friends who are vulnerable. Move them to air conditioned places if possible.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Increase fluid intake even if you are not thirsty.
- Never leave pets or people, especially children and infants, unattended in cars during a heat wave.
If heat risks do occur, cool the body as soon as possible, and call 9-1-1 for symptoms of heat stroke.
For additional health information, contact the Marathon County Health Department at 715-261-1900. For more information on library locations, call 715-261-7200.
image credit: https://pixabay.com/en/sunset-evening-romantic-sun-2180346