August 17, 2015
Our staff at the Marathon County Public Library has launched a new service aimed at helping our patrons find their next favorite books.
The library recently set up a new page within our website called Personalized Reading Suggestions, through which we’ll rack our brains and a vast pool of online reading resources, to recommend three books based on just a few clues provided by you, the patron.
Our staff is surrounded by books all day and each of us has our own favorite genres that run the gamut, so chances are someone here shares your reading tastes. Plus, we love these kinds of challenges that usually starts a little something like this…
“I just finished The Hunger Games and Matched trilogies. Do have anything else like that?”
“I like Lee Child’s stuff, who are some other authors like him?”
“I need something good to read, what can you recommend?”
Here’s how the Personalized Reading Suggestions works:
- Go to the Personalized Reading Suggestions page at www.mcpl.us/prs
- Tell us your name and email address, whether you prefer fiction or non-fiction and the format you prefer to read it in (such as books, audiobooks, or e-books)
- Give us the titles or authors of the last few books you read that you really liked, and why you liked them
- If you want, write a few specifics that will help us find the right books to match your taste. For example, maybe you prefer suspense and mystery novels but don’t care for excessive sex or violence. Or perhaps you’d rather read stories straight from the source in autobiographies, rather than someone else’s take in a biography. The more details we have, the better chance we have of finding good matches.
- Click submit and we promise to come back with three suggestions within four days, because (as we all know) sometimes you just don’t want to wait long before diving into a new book!
We can’t guarantee you’ll love each and every suggestion we send you, but whether you love or hate our recommendations, we always appreciate feedback; it helps us refine our efforts, and you might indirectly help another patron with similar tastes find their next great book!
So fill out that form any time of day or night, and let us help you keep reading!