Got questions? We've got answers!
If you can't find your question in this list of FAQs, please contact us, or use the site search box at the top of this page.
For FAQs and other information about the potential library system change, visit www.mcpl.us/taskforce.
- How can I renew my items?
- What is my library card number (or patron ID)?
- How can I get a library card?
- How many items can I check out, and for how long? And what are the late fines?
- How do I renew my library account, and why did it expire?
- What is my PIN or password?
- Where can I use my library card?
- How will I be notified if I have overdue items or items being held?
- Why can't I request certain items in the Library Catalog (V-Cat)?
- Can I get a library card if I don't live nearby?
- What are "Lucky Day" items?
- Why doesn't the library have available copies of a popular item?
- Can I check out if I have fines or overdue items?
- May I return my items to any public library?
- What happens if I don't return an item?
- Do I need a library card for each MCPL location?
- Can I get a library card for my child?
- How will I know when my materials are due?
- Can school or daycare groups check out materials when they visit?
- Should I notify the library if I change my address, phone number or email?
- Can I have library items delivered to my home?
- May I check out items or use a library computer without my card?
- What should I do if I lose my library card?
- Can I check out items or use my account without my library card?
- Why is my item's due date (or renewal date) earlier than expected?
- How can I pay my library fines?
- Can I close my library account?
- Can I view the library record of my child, family member or friend?
- Can I see a list of the items I've borrowed in the past?
- Can I cancel a request (hold) on an item if I don't want it anymore?
- How long will it take for my requested item (hold) to arrive?
- How do I create a list of items in the library catalog?
- Can I change where I pick up requested items?
- How do I request (hold) items in the Library Catalog (V-Cat)?
The COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic has prompted changes to the library's day-to-day operations — all of which were implemented to maintain the health and safety of patrons and library staff — while continuing to provide quality library services. ... (read more)
- Can I renew my library card during the pandemic?
- Is curbside pickup of library items available during the pandemic?
- What are "Grab & Go" activities, and how do I pick one up?
- When will the library fully re-open?
- Will the Summer Library Program be affected by the pandemic?
- Will any events be scheduled during the pandemic?
- Can I get a library card during the pandemic?
- What safety precautions are being taken during the pandemic?
- When are my items due during the pandemic?
- How do I participate in a virtual or online event (GoToMeeting, Facebook, Zoom, etc.)?
- What are Wisconsin libraries doing to respond to the pandemic?
- Are book donations accepted during the pandemic, and when is the next book sale?
- Are masks required to visit the library during the pandemic?
- Will interlibrary loan (WISCAT) be affected by the pandemic?
- What options are there for parking at the Wausau library?
- Why do I need to contact the library in advance for group visits?
- May we display promotional materials for our group or event at the library?
- Why do I need to specify a purpose for our group visit?
- What services are available to visiting groups?
- How will I know my group visit request is granted?
- Does the library offer free tax forms? When will they arrive, and which forms are available?
WISCONSIN'S DIGITAL LIBRARY
- Wisconsin's Digital Library doesn't have a book I want. Can I suggest it?
- Is my device compatible with the library's digital content (e-books and audiobooks)?
- What software do I need to access digital content from the library?
- Does the library have e-books?
- What are the checkout policies for e-books and audiobooks from Wisconsin's Digital Library?
- How is Wisconsin's Digital Library managed?
- Why can't I use Libby on iOS 9 and older web browsers?
- How long will it take to receive an item "on hold" from Wisconsin's Digital Library?
- What kinds of materials cannot be borrowed via Interlibrary Loan?
- How do I request materials through Interlibrary Loan?
- Where do I return interlibrary loan (ILL) materials?
- Are magazines available through Interlibrary Loan?
- Why was my Interlibrary Loan request denied?
- How long may I keep Interlibrary Loan items?
- What kinds of materials can be borrowed through Interlibrary Loan?
- Who may use Interlibrary Loan?
- How much does Interlibrary Loan cost?
- How long will it take to receive my interlibrary loan request?
- How will I know when my Interlibrary Loan materials arrive?
- What if I need to keep an Interlibrary Loan item beyond its due date?
- Can I use Interlibrary Loan to get information on a subject without a specific item in mind?
- What if I no longer need an Interlibrary Loan item I've requested?
- How many Interlibrary Loan requests can I submit?
COMPUTERS / INTERNET
- May I use someone else's library card to access library computers?
- How do I access library computers or Wi-Fi?
- Why can't I access an online resource from home?