FAQ: How do I apply for a U.S. passport book?
Adults applying for a new passport or a replacement for a lost or stolen passport must provide the following:
- Completed Passport Application (DS-11), available at MCPL Wausau or online.
- Birth certificate issued by the county or municipality in which you were born. Hospital-issued certificates, photocopies and abstracts of birth are not accepted.
- Current proof of identity, e.g. your Wisconsin driver's license or Wisconsin ID card. Contact us for other ways to prove your identity.
- Color passport photograph, two-inches square, taken within the last six months and meeting passport photo criteria. These may be taken at the library for $10, payable by cash or check.
- Any previous passport book or passport card, unless it was lost or stolen.
If applying on behalf of a minor, please contact us at 715-261-7200. Special conditions may apply. Further information is available from the U.S. Department of State.
Fees for processing a passport book:
- Adults (age 16 and older) — $110 check to "U.S. Dept. of State," $25 to "MCPL."
- Children (younger than 16) — $80 check to "U.S. Dept. of State," $25 to "MCPL."
- Expedited service is available for an additional $60 to "U.S. Dept. of State."
- Express delivery of your application to the processing center is available for $19.99, added to "MCPL" fees. More than one application may be shipped for one fee.
- Express delivery of your passport to your residence is available for $20.66 per application, added to fees payable to "U.S. Dept. of State."
Visit the U.S. Department of State website for more info. about passport applications.
- Resource: U.S. Passports